CA - ON - Brampton
IT Weapons, a division of Konica Minolta Business Solutions (Canada) Ltd. is a managed IT services, cloud solutions and consulting firm that has won over 30 awards for service excellence and technical leadership, and are ranked among the top 50 IT service providers in North America.
The Desktop Architect reports directly to the Director of Professional Services and is responsible for designing and implementing high quality laptop and workstation deployment and maintenance strategies.
The primary objective of the Desktop Architect is ensuring IT Weapons creates and employs rapid, simple, and scalable workstation and application provisioning solutions. This role will act as a subject matter expert and architect that helps define and implement workstation management strategies and policies for IT Weapons and our clients. The secondary objective is developing documentation, tools, processes and procedures to increase the efficiency and standardization of the solutions we are offering.
The Desktop Architect will interact with internal technical teams and/or clients to understand business and application requirements which will help formulate effective deployment and update strategies. This role will require a strong emphasis on Client interaction, communication, design, scripting, testing and documentation.
- Lead the design, development, and testing of:
- Our corporate and client laptop and desktop images, including evaluating and implementing the latest OS updates and patches
- Application packaging for automated deployment, self-service, or manual installation including GPO’s and/or other policies
- All approved applications to current supported versions and work with the application owners on what should be included or not
- Act as Subject Matter Expert (SME) in managing application deployment mechanisms
- Work with the Problem Management team to create requirements, develop enhancements and/or fixes to production end user environments
- Understand and remain current on industry systems, technologies and trends including virtual and cloud computing technologies and trends
- Monitor incident management system for production issues and enter all relevant data as incidents are completed
- Monitor project and task management system for day to day tasks and enter all relevant data as tasks are completed
- Architect desktop and laptop solutions for us and our clients
- Develop innovative processes surrounding documentation of our systems, policies and supported applications
- Present verbal and written recommendations to clients and management promoting improvements to achieve operational excellence
- Lead in evaluating new hardware and peripherals
- Assume responsibility for the overall solution
- Validate the solution can and will be delivered with a high degree of quality
- Help to build project schedule and identify key milestones and dependencies
- Be responsible for the developing an on-site and remote imaging process
- Identify and select the appropriate tools, process and required documentation for on-going workstation management
- Oversee the implementation of the standards
- The Desktop Architect will work with the Practice Leads to develop new solutions and product offerings
- Identify new solutions by actively engaging in industry events, conferences and organizations
- A minimum of 5+ years experience with laptops, desktops, hardware and software
- A minimum of 5+ years experience with Microsoft based platforms (SCCM, Office, Bitlocker, Windows Server, Windows XP-10)
- A minimum of 2 years experience with Mobile Device Management (MDM) technologies
- A minimum of 2 years experience designing and architectural experience implementing desktop management suites
- Experience with VMWare Virtualization technologies
- Thorough ability to enhance desktop security and configuration management through Group Policy Objects (GPO), in-depth experience with Active Directory and GPO's/GPP's as well as the ability to create custom policies
- Strong understanding of network connectivity, security and accessibility required
- Must perform as the go to person for areas of expertise
- Act as Subject Matter Expert (SME) in the desktop and laptop management area as well as the supported platforms of choice
- Must demonstrate specific technical expertise in multiple functional areas as defined by role
- Must be able to mentor and share knowledge and best practices with other team members
- Must be able to work on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors
- Must be detail oriented and be able to deliver high quality work without supervision
- Must be able to determine methods and procedures on new assignments and to provide guidance to other personnel
- Must have an ability to define, work with and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work in a team atmosphere
- Ability to effectively prioritize multiple group and individual tasks
- Must be very detail oriented
- Must be comfortable working on multiple projects
- Experience with scripting and enterprise automation is a plus
- Cloud and Managed Service Provider experience is an asset
- This position will require the candidate to successfully obtain clearance under the Government of Canada Controlled Goods Program.
Working at IT Weapons
In between our efforts, triumphs, late nights, and dedication to our clients, comes a fast-paced, team-oriented and friendly culture that helps drive the success of our organization. An open concept office and centralized meeting areas help create a casual and collaborative atmosphere. Neckties are cut loose on day one to help emphasize our unique philosophy. Staying fast, efficient, and flawless is our competitive edge. Our team-first approach extends far beyond typical business hours. IT Weapons runs our own internal basketball league, we play weekly competitive hockey, and hosts multiple social events throughout the year. We cut loose with barbecues, poker nights, an annual company retreat, catered gourmet lunches, and more. A team that plays together wins together.